Thursday, January 15, 2009

Harry Potter

I have an obsession with Harry Potter. It's not too bad, but I love the books. The movies are good too, but in my opinion they could be better. But that's not really their fault because JK Rowling was still writing the series, and no one else knew where the story was going. A lot of things were left out, but it's kind of expected because there's so much that not everything can fit in.

But I love the books! I know to other people who haven't read them are like whatever to them but that's only because you haven't read them. I was like that too until I was curious and read the first one. I think if you've seen the movies and then read them for the first time, it won't be as exciting. Part of the series for a long time was "what's going to happen next?!" And the movies kind of ruin it, but there's still loads left out of them. Unfortunately for me, I didn't start reading the series until after the sixth book was published, so I only had to wait for the last one. But that didn't make me any less anxious than everyone else. I would sit for hours (no joke) trying to figure out what was going to happen, but I was also hoping I wouldn't figure it out as well because you don't want to ruin the surprise.

The movies are alright (in comparison with the books.) They're part of the big phenomenon of Harry Potter, and I still get excited to see them. Yes, I am on of those girls that buy her ticket as soon as possible (like 4 weeks before the premiere) and wait in line at midnight to see it. The casting is really great too. The actors portraying the three main characters have sort of become the figures I imagine when I read them. Also casting for the 5th movie, Order of the Phoenix, was awesome - Professor Umbridge and Luna Lovegood seemed like they fell out of the book. But really all the actors do a fantastic job like Professor McGonagall (Maggie Smith); Snape (Alan Rickman); and Hagrid (Robbie Coltrane). Okay I have to stop because the list goes on.

One of the main reasons Harry Potter is so great is that it's for everyone. Everyone can read it. Also one reason why I love it is because of the intricate plot. JK Rowling is a genius. She leaves little hints and clues in every book - everything comes together in the end. It's amazing how she planned everything out. Imagine the patience and time for that. It took her ten years to plan everything out before the first book was even published! (I think...) Also the entire Harry Potter universe is insane as well. She imagined odd names and crazy wizardy objects. She even invented a sport that's actually played at some colleges - Quidditch. She even has history for the wizarding world like Gregory the Horrible Troll. Don't believe that, I made that up as an example. But every name means something. She took the time to look at Latin roots to give/make names. It's unbelievable. To think about all the effort and patience that took makes me dizzy.

Be prepared for more Harry Potter... so consider this part one.

No comments:

Post a Comment