Saturday, January 24, 2009

E Mentoring

So for my Bio 2 class I have to participate in an assignment that involves little kids. I am an E mentor for middle schoolers in Pakistan. Isn't that exciting?! Actually not. I basically have to help them with their science fair projects. But the idea was exciting at first. Different kids from all around the world like Egypt, Israel, or China. I really wanted an Egyptian kid.... okay. But anyway, each college student is assigned a group of students and we have to monitor their progress of their project. Sounds easy, but I hated doing science fair. My mom had to help me do all of it... But I have a group of three boys that live in Pakistan. They're doing their project on plants and if the temperature of water affects the growth of the plant. I don't think it does, but it's a decent project right? I hope so because I told them it was. Hopefully they won't need too much help. I wonder what the time difference is... I'll have to ask my friend. He was born in Pakistan... I think. I'm pretty sure he was, but he visited recently.

My experience with science fairs are .... different. The first one was kind of stupid and boring. Does salt help raise the temperature of boiling water? Apparently I was wrong in my results according to the judge. 2nd place. The second was overdone. Which brand of popcorn pops the most kernels? 2nd place. The third one was just stupid and I didn't want to do it. Which brand of candle burns longer? (not exact but close enough) BEST IN SHOW. Best in show in County. I went to state and did not place... thank God. I actually stole that idea by accident. It was way back in the beginning of the year when we were supposed to come up with 5 topics. I forgot to do it and I jotted down five projects I remember people doing in elementary school. I felt bad for everyone too... and embarrassed. People had better ones involving plants and bacteria. And I tiny candles.

I just hope my group of kids are going to do awesome. Hopefully I do awesome too with the assignment because it's a good chunk of my grade.

No comments:

Post a Comment