Sunday, April 26, 2009

Harry Potter part 2

Surprisingly I haven't done another Harry Potter one... I think my second blog was about Harry Potter... Yep it was. I think JK Rowling is a genius. Her plots are so intricate and intertwine with each other. I think it's just amazing. She leaves little foreshadowing clues and hints in each book without it being noticeable unless you go back and read the books. How she created the entire Harry Potter universe is insane as well. She imagined an entire universe and she hadn't even published the first book yet! Or even written it.. But she made up odd names and crazy wizardy objects. She even invented a sport that's actually played at some colleges - Quidditch. She even has detailed history for the wizarding world - like wars and battles between different creatures. It's just so elaborate.... I don't think I could ever do something that amazing. Oh! And she invented a word - an actual word that's been published in webster's dictionary: Muggle. Okay not so amazing any more.... I just looked it up, and i'm a little disappointed now. 1. muggle - a marijuana cigarette; 1920's slang. 2. muggle - a common person, esp. one who is ignorant or has no skills; 1920's slang. 3. muggle - a person without magical powers; 1996; popularized by J. K. Rowling in "Harry Potter and the Philospher's Stone".

Oh, and I just remember... I want a Philosopher's stone. I mean a copy of the book- not a actual rock... that would be cool too though. Because I have American Edition's, I feel like they're fake now. Because those weren't her original words; they've been edited for us Americans who don't know that in Europe soccer is called football. (I'm sure there are lots more too... like isn't the bathroom called the loo.)

But back to my original point... I think that it's just amazing that every name for some thing has an actual meaning or purpose. I have many many examples..

1. Aragog - "Arachnid" means spider and "Gog" was the name of a legendary giant. Combined, the name means "giant spider." Also possibly derived from the Greek word "agog," meaning "leader."

2. Binns, Professor - A "bin" is what the British call "a garbage can." Many students consider Professor Binns' information to be rubbish. In Northern England, "Binns" is a slang term for glasses, possibly referring to the professor's academic nature.

3. Fawkes (Dumbledore's phoenix) - Guy Fawkes was an English Catholic who, in 1605, tried to blow up the House of Parliament as an act of rebellion against the new Protestant government. In England, November 5th is now known as "Guy Fawkes Day" (or "Bonfire Night") where Guy Fawkes is burned in effigy. Every year he is resurrected to burn again.

4. Xenophilius (Lovegood) - "Xenophobia" is the term used for fear of strangers or foreigners and "xenophilia" means love or affection for alien things or people. Explains Xenophilius' love for all things strange.

No comments:

Post a Comment