Saturday, April 25, 2009

MASH part 3

I think I should do a blog about classic episodes of MASH... like when I think of MASH what moments do I think of? These will most likely classic moments that everyone remembers...

1. "Abyssinia, Henry" This is the episode when Henry Blake is finally sent home, but his plane is shot down into the Sea of Japan. At the end of the episode, Radar stumbles into the OR to tell everyone. I remember the last time I watched it, I just started crying. Not because Henry Blake just died, but because I remembered that his son was born earlier in the season. He hadn't even seen his son, and his son will never meet his father. That idea just made me sob.

2. "Goodbye Radar" Radar finally gets to go home... and he actually makes it there. But I remember the part about his going away party. They're all waiting to surprise him, but wounded soldiers are sent to their MASH. So while everyone is in the Or, Radar sees the party decorations. He walks by the OR door and looks at everyone for the last time. Hawkeye sees him and actually salutes him. It's one of my favorite moments.

3. "Goodbye, Farewell, and Amen" This is the finally of the series... Who doesn't remember this episode? This is THE most watch television show episode ever. The end with the rocks spelling out goodbye to Hawkeye and to us at the same time was just... good.

4. "The Interview" This was a great episode because a lot of it was improv with just the actors being in character with a reporter. It's shot in black and white and Father Mulcahy's interview is still imprinted into my brain. He talks about how doctors would warm themselves up in the steam that's rising off from the bodies during the cold winters...

5. "Run for the Money" The main storyline is about the race and bets with another MASH unit. Father Mulcahy has to run against some Olympic runner, but during the race he convinces the guy to loose the race so the orphanage could have a new roof. But the other part of the episode that I remember is the stuttering patient. A wounded soldier is bullied and called stupid for stuttering. Winchester stands up for the boy and tells him he is smart. He gives him his nice copy of Moby Dick to the guy who just reads comic book. At the end of the episode, Winchester is sitting and listening to his infamous "recorded letters." It happens to be that his own sister stutters.... I don't know, but I've always loved this episode.

No comments:

Post a Comment