Monday, April 20, 2009

Random Southern Things

Here are some random Southern things.... I don't know; I just need more blogs......

1. Grits - ground-up corn mixture, considered breakfast food, and usually delicious at a Waffle House
2. "Y'all" - 'you all'; really fun to teach to Northerners and a bit impossible

3. Sweet Tea - According to Steel Magnolias, sweet tea is the house wine of the South.... but I don't drink it.

4. Country music - actually I can't listen to it. I did have a passion for Shania Twain though. I remember I used to sing very enthusiastically in the car when I was 9..... wow it's embarrassing.

5. Soda or Pop? - The real answer is neither... it's Coke. A friend of a friend of a friend is overseas. He (Southern) asked his buddy (not Southern) to get him a coke. He brought back a Coca-cola and the guy yelled at him for not asking him what he wanted - Dr. Pepper.....

6. "fixin to" - 'about to' or 'going to'

7. hicks- not every one is a hick. I have to admit that I've met some though.....

8. "Ma'am" - 'miss'; It's a proper way to address a lady. Don't be offended that someone calls you ma'am, its an involuntary action to some people. It doesn't mean your an old hag... even though you might be one.....

9. "ain't" - 'am not' or 'are not'; I think a lot of people say this one right? not just southerners

10. Fried Chicken - There's a reason why KFC is still in business. Even though I don't eat it often, doesn't mean that i don't like it.

11. "Pecan" is from an Algonquian word, meaning a nut requiring a stone to crack. Can be pronounced "pee-kan" or "pi-kahn". I like to say "pi-kahns" but I'll say "pee-kan pie."

12. Sweating Indoors - in movies and on television, in the South, people are always seen sweating and fanning themselves (esp in courtrooms for some reason) we have air conditioning.... unless its broken like one summer it was for us, it was terrible..... but come on.

I can't think of more and I'm pretty sure there are lots more. Like in general Southern Food. I tend to be a picky eater so I actually don't eat most of it. I think its 300 words now...

No comments:

Post a Comment